Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Feel the Burrrrrn

Inadvertently dump a big clump of chili powder into your chili and what do you get?
Yesssss! 
I'm okay with an accidental victory. 
I felt for the judges, though.
What fun Sunday's chili cook-off was! I don't think I've ever been to one before. Nor have I (obviously) made chili before. There were soooo many kinds - chicken-y/zucchini chili, white chili, vegan chili, dessert chili (ooh-la-la, that was a delicious apple-walnutty concoction)...



The decorations were almost as fun as the eatin'...

And not just for the kiddos, I noticed.


Several of our thrift store customers joined us for the worship service and the cook-off. The thrift store isn't just a tool to raise money for Victory Home - it's a mission field full of souls, and we take seriously the opportunities to minister to those who enter our doors.

If you can guess one of my two secret ingredients, I'll send you my winnings: that big bottle of Kajun Fire Habanero Hot Sauce! 
'Cause what am I gonna do with that? I've reached the top; there's nowhere to go from there, people.

P.S. If you are not a hot sauce lover, I'll substitute one of the secret ingredients, and you'll very likely enjoy that. Trust me.

4 comments:

  1. Evan won 2nd one year in our church chili contest. Such fun! Secret Ingredients: Cinnamon, Cocoa, or a Dark Chocolate Bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My church is finally having a chili cookoff! It's this month, and I signed up. I loves me some chili! lol I made pumpkin chili for a friend's cookoff last fall but did not win. I saw someone's kid load up on my chili though, so that soothed my wounded pride. teehee

    Well, since your kidney beans and black beans aren't a secret, my next guess would be chocolate. No fair that morningstar made three guesses! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - you BOTH win: I threw in some semi-sweet chocolate chips (too many, actually; I could taste the chocolate and I don't thing you're supposed to!), and I also plopped in a couple of dollops of homemade grape jelly. Tina, I'll leave your prize at the thrift store behind the register, but I'm going out of town next week so it'll have to be the following week. Brenda, I'll be in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope y'all got your gifts - Brenda, I sent you a small package a couple of weeks ago, and Tina, I haven't checked yet, but assume you got yours at the thrift store. Let me know if either of you DIDN'T!

    ReplyDelete